Anxiety during pregnancy
So much is spoken about depression both during pregnancy (antenatal) and after giving birth (postnatal). Clinicians and researchers have focused on these topics for a number of decades to the benefit of women suffering depression.
Little has been known about the pattern of anxiety across this period. However, a recent study in England, asked 8323 women to self report on their levels of anxiety at 18 and 32 weeks of their pregnancy and again at 8 weeks and 8 months after Read more [...]
Anxiety and depression often co-exist
Many individuals suffer from anxiety and depression at the same time. Sometimes, one of these conditions goes untreated. The result is that the individual receives treatment but because it is not complete, the person remains feeling unwell.
For example, it is not uncommon for people with social anxiety to also suffer from depression. According to the World Psychiatric Association (1995), 17% of social anxiety sufferers also have major depression
If you Read more [...]
Anti-anxiety medication information
Medication can relieve some of the symptoms of anxiety. However, you need to be aware of the following:
* Medication should be prescribed and monitored by a competent health professional.
* Medication does not cure the underlying problem causing anxiety.
* Medication is rarely a long-term solution.
* Anxiety medications come with side effects and safety concerns, including the risk of addiction.
* It requires non-drug treatments to produce lasting changes Read more [...]
6 Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are several different manifestations of anxiety disorders:
1. Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD). People with this condition have irrational fears and apprehension about minor things their health, work or personal relationships.
2. Panic Disorder (PD). People who have this condition experience sudden and unpredictable episodes of panic in situations where other people would not be afraid. They are convinced something disastrous will happen, that they may Read more [...]
Self diagnosis of anxiety symptoms
Many people do not feel right a lot of the time and try and self diagnose. One of the most common questions that I am asked is: Am I suffering from anxiety disorder or just stressed by life?
It can be difficult to distinguish between the two (GAD and stress) and that is why it is vital that you receive a proper diagnosis from a suitably qualified health care professional.
Having said that, here is a simple run down of the most common symptoms of generalised Read more [...]